Farm Bill Updates
NESAWG has teamed up with the New England Farmers Union Educational Foundation, Wholesome Wave, and many others to come up with the Northeast Farm Bill Agenda Priorities
. You can use this document to shape your organization's approach to the 2012 Farm Bill and beyond. Dozens of organizations participated in creating this rich resource which gives voice to the specific needs of the Northeast.
Nearly every other food and farm related organization have been in high gear about the Farm Bill over the past few months. Here is a selection of a few reports leading up to the Senate version and responses to the process so far.
- The Environmental Working Group have their own Farm Bill Platform and have been blogging regularly about the Farm Bill.
- The Union of Concerned Scientists released a report called, "Ensuring the Harvest: Crop Insurance and Credit for a Healthy Farm and Food Future"
- The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy have a "What's at Stake" series to analyze how the Farm Bill affects issues we all care about.
- The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition released a Sustainable Agriculture Agenda and are also posting frequent blog updates about happenings on the Hill.
- The Council of State Governments are hosting conference calls for State Legislators, Staff and Associated Personell. The next call is Tuesday, July 17th.
Over in the blogosphere, Marion Nestle has a good overview of the next stages of the Farm Bill
now that the Senate has passed it. Civil Eats gives a rundown
of their wins and losses, and Tom Philpott
notes that it could have been worse.
The House is scheduled to pick up the Bill on July 11th. Keep calling yourrepresentatives